PDA

View Full Version : What is he trying to say?

barton
06-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm doing a game this evening with Phil. I sent him an email this morning and asked:

Phil,
You want plate or bases for this game?
B

Phil responded:

Barton,

Such difficult decisions so early in the morning! You know that the procedure for determining plate and base assignments are rooted in a time-honored tradition that dates back to the early days of baseball. All amateur umpires seek to share the responsibility of doing the plate we also expect to share the chore of being the base umpire as well.

Using the "rotation method" we would have to look back to the last time we worked together. If memory serves me it was May 7th when we did a Junior League game at 9:30am on field 4. If you recall you were the plate umpire in that game.

As fully observant members of the "brotherhood of blue" it is expected of us to respect the traditions of the avocation and comply with the procedures that our forerunner umpires have so carefully laid out for us. It is what binds us and keeps us true to the avocation of umpiring. Therefore, since you were on the plate last time, it goes without saying that I must fulfill my part of the unwritten code we all live by as umpires and take the plate in our game this afternoon.

However, if you want to do the plate that's OK with me!

Phil

TBBlue
06-10-2005, 02:59 PM
I think he's saying that he forgot his cup.

barton
06-10-2005, 04:57 PM
My follow-up response to Phil,

Phil,

I am a purist and traditionalist at heart and in that regard I would never knowingly break the unwritten code, unless of course there was an extenuating circumstance. As there are none on my end, then the plate is yours.

B

Ump7Tony
08-02-2006, 03:22 AM
I would have replied....

I would prefer that we had both a plate and 3 bases for tonight's game.
Each placed in the standard locations as shown in the rule book.

I guess I'm a traditionalist.....Ump7tony