PDA

View Full Version : Interference or Just Smart Baseball

adieste
04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
R2 blocks F6's view (or so complained OC) of a ground ball. My partner on the bases did not call interference, I didn't see anything but heads-up base running. Sure it's a judgement call regarding "purposefully" ... yadayada. Also (Little League Juniors 14U level), is breaking up a double play interference?

So, what's the call? Wanna get it right tonight ... thanks!

mbyron
04-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Judgment call. If R2 is looking at the ball, stops running directly in front of F6, maybe does a little "dance" to avoid getting hit, AND it has an impact on F6's fielding the ball, that's INT. For OBR, if you judge that the INT was intended to prevent a double play, call 2 out (for FED it's a DP if the defense might have turned 2).

If the runner's shenanigans don't affect F6 then that's nothing, even if intentional: no harm, no foul.

If he just runs in front with his head down and happens to screen F6 from the ball as he runs by, even if it affects F6's fielding that's nothing. But the benefit of the doubt is going to the fielder on this play.

Rich_Ives
04-24-2012, 06:00 PM
If the runner was just running by on his way to 3B and didn't stop, wave, cause the fielder to alter course, or whatever then it's not interference.

Break-up - legal in LL as long as the runner was within reach of 2B as he went by it. May not be in HS rules depending how it happens.

mturman
04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
In HS, Fed, breaking up a double play usually is centered on the slide / approach to second, or the next base, and whether it was legal or intereference in some way...

Aloha,
Mike

mcmahm34
04-25-2012, 02:53 AM
R2 blocks F6's view (or so complained OC) of a ground ball. My partner on the bases did not call interference, I didn't see anything but heads-up base running. Sure it's a judgement call regarding "purposefully" ... yadayada. Also (Little League Juniors 14U level), is breaking up a double play interference?

So, what's the call? Wanna get it right tonight ... thanks!

Who care's what the OC "wants" called. By the sounds of it neither of you saw something that would result in interference. That to me says it wasn't.

heyblue26
04-25-2012, 03:04 AM
If you see it call it if not continue to play. I had a play close to this I didn't see the runner do anything wrong so i didn't call anything but my partner the PU saw something and he called it. No questions from either side.