PDA

View Full Version : LL Minors Reentry of Injured Player

packerbacker
06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Regular season LL, Minors with continuous batting order. Batter gets hit by pitch and coach wants to sit player to ice the bruise/swelling. We could substitute, using the last preceding player in the lineup who is not on base.
Question is if we do this can the injured player reenter later in the game?
Tournament LL seems to require a final decision from a doctor or medical personnel, but I can find no similar language pertaining to regular season play.

SocalBlue1
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
No drama needed, just skip him until the little camper is ready to return. Put the last out on base & play.

Rich_Ives
06-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Regular season LL, Minors with continuous batting order. Batter gets hit by pitch and coach wants to sit player to ice the bruise/swelling. We could substitute, using the last preceding player in the lineup who is not on base.
Question is if we do this can the injured player reenter later in the game?
Tournament LL seems to require a final decision from a doctor or medical personnel, but I can find no similar language pertaining to regular season play.

The T-rule about the final decision is just that - the final decision. Needed only if there is a dispute.

In regular season there is probably no medical person ON DUTY that would be the final decision maker.

And don't forget - it's only if there's a dispute.

Don't even consider keeping a kid out for an owie.

In regular season if the manager and Mom say it's OK, it's OK.

shickenbottom
06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
The T-rule about the final decision is just that - the final decision. Needed only if there is a dispute.

In regular season there is probably no medical person ON DUTY that would be the final decision maker.

I'd be a bit leery sending the kid back out if they took a pitched ball to the head given all the hub-bub recently with concussions. Im not a medical professional, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I like the house I live in and I don't want to risk it even if I have the ABUA insurance policy.

Rich_Ives
06-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I'd be a bit leery sending the kid back out if they took a pitched ball to the head given all the hub-bub recently with concussions. Im not a medical professional, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I like the house I live in and I don't want to risk it even if I have the ABUA insurance policy.

A pitched ball to the unhelmeted head is not an owie.

A pitched ball to the helmet probably is.

bigbird69
06-24-2011, 07:58 PM
First, he said it was a HBP, but not what part of the body was hit.

I know I was doing the same age group 3 weeks ago, took a foul off my upper arm... nice purple bruise. Could this occur with an HBP... sure.. and that owie hurts like hell for a few minutes.

If they have 9+ left after letting him sit out, let him. Just skip his spot in the batting order. Though with continuous batting order, moving people in and out of the field is no big deal. I have done this in the past and it just makes you look like you are a human with some compassion. Parents at this age group like that.

If they don't have 9 left, well rule 4 has an item about that.

Elfordo
08-12-2011, 12:54 AM
4.04 NOTE 2. sums it up pretty well:

"...when the continuous batting order is adopted...when a child is injured, becomes ill or must leave the game site after the start of the game the team will skip over him/her when his/her time at bat comes up without penalty. If the injured, ill or absent player returns they are merely inserted into their original spot in the batting order and the game continues."

So, yes - no problem puting him right back into the game after the owie starts to feel better.

pmylumpire13
02-05-2013, 11:19 PM

I'd be VERY CAREFUL about that situation. The best thing you can do is STAY OUT OF THE DISCUSSION ALTOGETHER, because, even if "coach" and "mom" agree to send the kid back in, IF the injury becomes worse, guess who they are going to come after - me, the fat man behind the plate.