PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's Rant

thunderheads
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Hilarious rant by Ozzie, even better is Soto's reaction!

Anyone have/find a clip of this from behind the plate, and/or, another angle than represented here?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16110487

Richard_Siegel
06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
It's a fair ball. Look at the clip I captured. The catcher picked it up when the ball was right on the point of HP. The other view from center field shows the ball was to the left or right of the point of the plate. I am sure that Ozzie looked at a replay once he left the game. I always wonder how managers feel after they see a replay and realize the umpire was right after they have spent 5 minutes yelling and screaming at them saying the call was wrong.

thunderheads
06-22-2011, 01:03 PM
It's a fair ball. Look at the clip I captured. The catcher picked it up when the ball was right on the point of HP. The other view from center field shows the ball was to the left or right of the point of the plate. I am sure that Ozzie looked at a replay once he left the game. I always wonder how managers feel after they see a replay and realize the umpire was right after they have spent 5 minutes yelling and screaming at them saying the call was wrong.

That's a great still shot, but at best it's inconclusive. It 'looks' fair, but ....
Now, ...I am NOT saying it wasn't fair, I just haven't seen anything that truly 'confirms' it, but that's par for the course on a lot of plays with video angles.

boyinr
06-22-2011, 01:08 PM
The video may not be able to prove anything but, both Soto and the PU had a perfect look at it. Neither one of them had any doubts as to fair or foul or a hesitation about the out.

lustersilk
06-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Great call and EJ!

bnumpire
06-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Watching the replay of this, it looks like Soto touches the ball while it was still touching the plate. IMO, Steve Stone and Ken Harrelson are two of the absolute worst broadcasters when it comes to criticizing umpires. Those two seem to think that every umpire is out to screw the Sox whenever he has the opportunity. I put them on the same level as Tim McCarver.

justus
06-22-2011, 10:03 PM
I am sure that Ozzie looked at a replay once he left the game. I always wonder how managers feel after they see a replay and realize the umpire was right after they have spent 5 minutes yelling and screaming at them saying the call was wrong.

Ramirez is lucky he didn't get tossed initially when he pointed. Ozzie may have known it was fair, but made the big demonstration so he would get the ejection instead of Ramirez.

Richard_Siegel
06-22-2011, 10:41 PM
That's a great still shot, but at best it's inconclusive. It 'looks' fair, but ....
Now, ...I am NOT saying it wasn't fair, I just haven't seen anything that truly 'confirms' it, but that's par for the course on a lot of plays with video angles.

How can you say it's inconclusive? Look at the two still shots that capture the exact moment the catcher grabs the ball. One shot is from CF and the other is from the side. You can clearly see the ball is over the point of the plate at that moment.

It's a fair ball.

johnnyg08
06-23-2011, 01:52 AM
yeah, that last reply pretty much shows that for sure it was a fair ball. weird play

thunderheads
06-23-2011, 12:51 PM
How can you say it's inconclusive? Look at the two still shots that capture the exact moment the catcher grabs the ball. One shot is from CF and the other is from the side. You can clearly see the ball is over the point of the plate at that moment.

It's a fair ball.

How can I say it's inconclusive? Really?
I would just love to see a different (backside) angle. AGAIN, not saying it's NOT fair, or the call was INCORRECT. Yes, both captured pics posted do look like the ball is fair...I'd just love to see a different view than given so far, that's all...

Richard_Siegel
06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
I would just love to see a different (backside) angle. AGAIN, not saying it's NOT fair, or the call was INCORRECT. Yes, both captured pics posted do look like the ball is fair...I'd just love to see a different view than given so far, that's all...

Two views that are at perpendicular angles to each other both show the ball is over the white slab of HP. Any other view would have to show the same thing. You have 100% evidence the ball is fair and you want more?

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck.... it's a duck.

Ozzy
06-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Here's a different view - stand on your head and look at Rich's pictures! :mrgreen:

thunderheads
06-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Here's a different view - stand on your head and look at Rich's pictures! :mrgreen:

THERE IT IS!!!!!!!!! :)

celebur
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Here's a different view - stand on your head and look at Rich's pictures! :mrgreen:Whoa! How in the world can they play upside down like that???

yawetag
06-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Whoa! How in the world can they play upside down like that???

Witchcraft.