PDA

View Full Version : foul tip/foul ball

retired
05-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Still confused on a foul tip/foul ball.
Two strikes, pitch tipped to catcher's mitt, to chest protector, back to mitt.
Foul tip or foul ball?
Would the ruling be different in pro ball?

CoachJM
05-05-2011, 03:04 AM
Still confused on a foul tip/foul ball.
Two strikes, pitch tipped to catcher's mitt, to chest protector, back to mitt.
Foul tip or foul ball?
Would the ruling be different in pro ball?

retired,

The ruling would be the same (as of this year) in all codes.

In the sitch you describe, if the F2 eventually secured the ball and demonstrated voluntary/intentional release, that would be a foul tip.

If instead the tipped ball had hit his chest protector first, it would be an (uncaught) foul.

A "foul tip" is NOT a special definition of a foul ball - it's a special definition of a "Catch".

JM

jaym
05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Good example...I was under the impression by the wording I initially read that it had to go directly into the glove or hand and if it wasn't cleanly caught it wasn't a foul tip. Seeing your comment had me reread the rule (from OBR, don't have FED handy):
A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand.
I basically read this as if the ball first touches the catcher's glove or hand, as long as the catcher secures it before it hits the ground, it still qualifies as a foul tip. Correct?

Rich_Ives
05-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Good example...I was under the impression by the wording I initially read that it had to go directly into the glove or hand and if it wasn't cleanly caught it wasn't a foul tip. Seeing your comment had me reread the rule (from OBR, don't have FED handy):

I basically read this as if the ball first touches the catcher's glove or hand, as long as the catcher secures it before it hits the ground, it still qualifies as a foul tip. Correct?

Correct.