PDA

View Full Version : 4 base error

socallurker
04-27-2011, 12:57 AM
My father-in-law pointed out the news article that referred to a 4 base error in a recent MLB game, and he, my son, and I were pondering what it could have been as the article didn't say. (Turns out it was a simple fly ball error where the ball skirted down the line into the corner.)

My son's proposal for a possibility lead to a discussion of whether it would be a 4 base error or simply an HR. Scenario: outfielder is camped under the fly ball on the warning track, glove above his head, and misjudges it just enough to allow the ball to hit the heel of his glove and bound over his head into the stands in fair territory. HR? 4 base error?

alexgreenlee
04-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Error, as long as fielder could have made the out with normal effort. Begs a question though, does anyone know how the infamous HR-off-Jose Canseco's-head was scored? Had it not gone over the fence, it might have been scored a hit, as it was a tough play at the wall, but, a HR?

sdix00
04-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Error, as long as fielder could have made the out with normal effort. Begs a question though, does anyone know how the infamous HR-off-Jose Canseco's-head was scored? Had it not gone over the fence, it might have been scored a hit, as it was a tough play at the wall, but, a HR?

Well -
Olivo hit a "home run" off of Raburn's wrist at the warning track yesterday in DET. They scored it a home run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=962NJk1EhAo&feature=player_embedded

Box Score:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET201104260.shtml

Rich_Ives
04-27-2011, 11:02 PM
There is a rule 10 folks:

10.06(e) When a batter-runner is awarded two bases, three bases or a home run under the provisions of Rules 7.05 or 7.06(a), the official scorer shall credit the batter-runner with a two-base hit, a three-base hit or a home run, as the case may be.

7.05 Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out, advanceó
(a) To home base, scoring a run, if a fair ball goes out of the playing field in flight and he touched all bases legally;

2.00 IN FLIGHT describes a batted, thrown, or pitched ball which has not yet touched the ground or some object other than a fielder.

The deflected ball is still in flight. It left the field fair. Award 4 bases. Therefore scored a home run.

yawetag
04-28-2011, 02:50 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE199305260.shtml

Home Run.

OzUmp
04-29-2011, 05:52 AM
That four-base error crap I believe is a slow-pitch softball thing.

Rich_Ives
04-29-2011, 01:56 PM

Probably because they limit HR's so a deflection is not a HR to prevent the defense from doing it on purpose to put the offense over the limit.

yawetag
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM

No, I think baseball has the chance of a four-base error. Take a can of corn to F7 that's off the side of his glove and rolls to the corner. Fast BR runs it out all the way to home. I would mark that a four-base error.

socallurker
05-06-2011, 04:06 AM
No, I think baseball has the chance of a four-base error. Take a can of corn to F7 that's off the side of his glove and rolls to the corner. Fast BR runs it out all the way to home. I would mark that a four-base error.

As noted in the original post, MLB had a four base error the week before Easter . . . description we found sounded a lot like what you just described.

It does still seem a bit odd that on a play that would be an error if the ball stayed in the field of play, the fielder is forgiven because the worst possible thing for his team happens . . .