PDA

View Full Version : Gary Cederstrom Plate Stance

bklynump
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
http://imageofsport.hosted.photocore.us/image/thumb/250-250/4565583.jpg

What type of stance it MLB umpire Gary Cederstrom using here? It is a scissors or is it more of the knee? Would you recommend using a stance like this?

CoachJM
03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
bklynump,

It's a scissors.

No, I would recommend NOT using this stance. Unless you really enjoy spinal injuries, of course.

JM

Dragon29
03-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Because I'm very tall (6'5") I am often advised by instructors to "try the scissors"

I tried it in a couple of scrimmages and hated it. For me, I can't get up and out of the way on a passed ball fast enuogh from that stance; also feels a little unbalanced.

Just my $.02

dash_riprock
03-25-2011, 03:36 AM
Because I'm very tall (6'5") I am often advised by instructors to "try the scissors"

I tried it in a couple of scrimmages and hated it. For me, I can't get up and out of the way on a passed ball fast enuogh from that stance; also feels a little unbalanced.

Just my $.02

My college mentor is 6'6" and uses a VERY wide heel-toe stance. He looks like the God of all balls & strikes back there. Enormous and very solid.

I also agree the scissors is not conducive to "opening up the gate" and getting out of F2's way. With a hands-on-knees stance (either box or angled), you can pivot on either foot and maximize the area "cleared" to give F2 room to chase the ball. Not so with the scissors

bigblu2u2
03-25-2011, 04:05 AM
I have used the full scissors for over 30 years. After watching one of the guys on Rappies crew use this modified scissors, I tried it at the beginning of this season. It is great. No strain on my hams, great view, I am actually setting up higher. I had Shields and Archer from the Rays, and Jacob Turner and Oliver from the Tigers last week, and I am really seeing the ball well. I am 6'3, 250. I had a 6 inning Tigers sim game on Tuesday on the plate at 11am, left there and did a 9 inning college game at the University of Tampa at 5pm. 15 innings with this stance, and I love it.

richo_aust
03-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Interesting stance, looks good, I think it will be called the
"Gary Cederstrom Stance" from now on.
Looks like both scissors and hands on Knees stance.
I use the hands on knees myself, can stay there forever, however, depending on size of kids (LL), I may go to the knee, but rely.
I tried scissors, does not work for me.

From my experience, as long as you have,
1. a good view of the plate and zone
2. you keep your head still
3. balanced
4. able to clear the catcher instantly
5. and can hold it all day without pain

then any stance you do would be OK.

britinmuc
03-25-2011, 06:25 AM
My college mentor is 6'6" and uses a VERY wide heel-toe stance. He looks like the God of all balls & strikes back there. Enormous and very solid.

yep. 6'5" (190lb tho) here. I use a very wide strance to compensate on the height, if need be you can lean forward a little to drop a little more. i find it very comfortable.
i do however still compete on the mountainbike circuit, and teach athletics - so i tend to be very active and have a good fitness.
i could well imagine that the wide stance would not be suited for everyone.

i did use gerry davis stancewhich was ok...maybe that would be an option for you

yawetag
03-25-2011, 07:15 AM
if need be you can lean forward a little to drop a little more.

Apparently, this opens your throat area to possible injury.

britinmuc
03-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Apparently, this opens your throat area to possible injury.

actually, I would have said it reduces it. by leaning forward you reduce the visible area of throat:

But to be quite honnest. i think everyone should be wearing a throat protector regardless of position.

its an option that allows you to lower your head position, without too much trouble..

heyblue26
03-27-2011, 02:01 AM
I use the slot position and also a throat protector. I would advise any young umpire that is just starting out to use one or any umpire for that matter but that is each individuals call. They do serve a purpose and I know. Been hit in throat but just happen to be lucky and no damage was done but it could of been serious.

Wear a throat protector

fatump
03-27-2011, 02:16 AM
I always wear a throat protector and I cant stand the scissors stance it fells unsteady and im a big bo i need to square up

mazzamouth
03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Interesting stance, looks good, I think it will be called the
"Gary Cederstrom Stance" from now on.
Looks like both scissors and hands on Knees stance.
I use the hands on knees myself, can stay there forever, however, depending on size of kids (LL), I may go to the knee, but rely.
I tried scissors, does not work for me.

From my experience, as long as you have,
1. a good view of the plate and zone
2. you keep your head still
3. balanced
4. able to clear the catcher instantly
5. and can hold it all day without pain

then any stance you do would be OK.

Joe west has been using this for about 3 years.. we call it the Bissors...LOL a combo of the box and scissors .

DP
03-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Messed with the scissors a little never really liked it. I am short 5'7" feel better(more solid) in the GD but I tinkered with it for quite a while to get it right. Don't get alot of greif on B & S. (Shouldn't say that wait till tomorrow LOL) At any rate, I have watched a couple guys in our chapter who use it and they are good with B & S. I think I read somewhere that the trick to resolve some of the unsteadyness is to turn the lead foot in as you stand. I think you have to start with some fundamentals (read Carl Childress articles on stance v position) and then figure out what works best for you.

Richard_Siegel
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I saw Cedarstrom working the plate for the Mets game yesterday. Apparently he does not use that odd stance anymore. He used the convention box stance all yesterday. And by the way, he also had a 6" throat protector on his mask. I guess he doesn't have his CP properly fitted.

mazzamouth
03-28-2011, 02:49 AM
I saw Cedarstrom working the plate for the Mets game yesterday. Apparently he does not use that odd stance anymore. He used the convention box stance all yesterday. And by the way, he also had a 6" throat protector on his mask. I guess he doesn't have his CP properly fitted.

I got to meet Gary and have a good talk with him.. His chest protector is nice, and it does fit well.. Gary also promotes a company called rite temp athletics
http://ritetempathletics.com/ it is a good product..And I know he wears it, he let a bunch of us wear some in Florida last week and it was 80* these things felt nice, and cooled you off.

thunderheads
03-31-2011, 11:38 AM

Apparently, ....he must switch, because here he is again from March 28th or 29th using it ....and ....looks like he may be rocking the Shock FX 3.0 or some prototype too....
http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/6194-possible-shock-fx-30/

ON EDIT: He was using this stance last night , opening day at Dodger's Stadium vs. the Giants